Skip to main content

Wetin Concern Us: Osun lecturers defy Aregbesola’s resumption order over pending salaries

Lecturers in tertiary institutions owned by the Osun State Government have defied Governor Rauf Aregbesola’s directive asking them to return to classes on Monday.
The lecturers, under the aegis of the Council of Academic Staff Unions of Osun State-Owned Tertiary Institutions, said in a statement in Osogbo on Friday that they would not allow the state government to coerce them to resume without addressing the issues which caused their indefinite strike.

The statement was jointly issued by the CASUOSTI Chairman, Lasisi Jimoh; secretary, Olusegun Lana; Chairman Academic Staff Union of Polytechnic, Iree, Dotun Omisore; ASUP chairman, Esa Oke, Adesola Akande; COEASU Ila-Orangun Chairman, Segun Onifade and COEASU Ilesa Chairman, Oladele Ojo.
The secretary of the CASUOSTO said Aregbesola had only paid the lecturers one month out of the nine months’ salaries owed them despite the release of N34.988bn to the state for that purpose. They said the government had paid three months’ salaries to other categories of workers but left them out.
The lecturers said the directive was violent, ridiculous, malicious, lawless and ill-advised.
According to them, it is the most unexpected response to the peaceful and lawful demand for their legitimate rights from a democratic government.

Comments

Popular Posts

Dangote acquires 16,000 hectares for commercial farming in Jigawa

The Dangote Group on Thursday said it had concluded arrangements to develop 16,000 hectares of land for commercial farming in Kafin-Hausa Local Government Area of Jigawa State. The representative of the company, Femi Afolabi, said this during a community sensitisation exercise in Kafin-Hausa. Afolabi said the company would develop 15,000 hectares for rice cultivation, while 1,000 hectares had been earmarked for construction of a modern rice mill. He said another 10,000 hectares of land would also be developed for seed out-grower farm, adding that the measure was to encourage production of quality seed. According to him, the company will spend about $250 million on the project, which will generate about 50,000 jobs among rural dwellers. Breaking down the figures, Afolabi explained that $150 million was earmarked for rice cultivation in Kafin-Hausa, while $100 million was for industrial sugarcane production in Kaugama. He said the company had made adequate arrangements to ens...

Check out how Uc Graphic photo came to be

These are the people behind the amazing designs you see on UC Browser. Say hi and let them know your suggestions!

Besiktas to move for Mikel

Besiktas have turned their attention to Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel after a move for Liverpool's Lucas Leiva stalled on loan with the Reds now keen to keep the Brazilian.