Skip to main content

‘Africa must play a big role in world football’ – Odegbami to stand for Fifa presidency



The former Nigeria international believes he can head a new era of leadership that can restore the dignity of the game of football
Former Nigeria national team star Segun Odegbami has announced his candidacy for the Fifa presidency by describing the current crisis rocking the world football governing body as the ‘worst in its 111 years of existence’.

An election will be held at an Extraordinary Congress on February 26 to decide Blatter's successor after he announced earlier this year he will step down as president of football's world governing body.
Uefa president Michel Platini , Brazil legend Zico, former Trinidad and Tobago international David Nakhid and South Korea Chung Mong-joon have also announced their candidacy, but the Nigeria believes he is the right man for the job because he will make the necessary changes to the organisation.
"The current scandal at Fifa is the organisation's worst crisis in its 111 years of existence," Odegbami said in a statement.
"Moving forward, Fifa thus requires a new era of leadership that can restore the dignity of the noble sport.
"The world is very interested in who becomes the next president of Fifa, considering the present images and state of this institution. I see myself fitting into this role.”
The 1980 Africa Cup of Nations winner included that his bid will have the "highest sense of responsibility, integrity, transparency, probity and accountability" as he intends to create a "new and optimistic future for football that focuses on human, infrastructural, social and community development across the world."
"The choice of an African, specifically a Nigerian, may look far-fetched in this pursuit, noting the international coverage of Fifa and the historical trend in its leadership reputation," he continued.
"However, a closer scrutiny of the international football environment reveals the real possibility of such change.
"Football is what my entire life has revolved around. My life's ambition has always been to use football to make a difference in my local space and across the world,” he concluded.
The 63-year-old who is the second African to declare intentions for the football’s top job after Liberia’s Musa Bility failed in his attempt to become president of the Nigeria Football Federation and also headed Nigeria’s Bid Management Committee to host the 2010 Fifa World Cup.
(Goal.com)

Comments

Popular Posts

Dangote acquires 16,000 hectares for commercial farming in Jigawa

The Dangote Group on Thursday said it had concluded arrangements to develop 16,000 hectares of land for commercial farming in Kafin-Hausa Local Government Area of Jigawa State. The representative of the company, Femi Afolabi, said this during a community sensitisation exercise in Kafin-Hausa. Afolabi said the company would develop 15,000 hectares for rice cultivation, while 1,000 hectares had been earmarked for construction of a modern rice mill. He said another 10,000 hectares of land would also be developed for seed out-grower farm, adding that the measure was to encourage production of quality seed. According to him, the company will spend about $250 million on the project, which will generate about 50,000 jobs among rural dwellers. Breaking down the figures, Afolabi explained that $150 million was earmarked for rice cultivation in Kafin-Hausa, while $100 million was for industrial sugarcane production in Kaugama. He said the company had made adequate arrangements to ens...

Check out how Uc Graphic photo came to be

These are the people behind the amazing designs you see on UC Browser. Say hi and let them know your suggestions!

Besiktas to move for Mikel

Besiktas have turned their attention to Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel after a move for Liverpool's Lucas Leiva stalled on loan with the Reds now keen to keep the Brazilian.