Skip to main content

US returns stolen 17th century books to Sweden


Two antique books dating back to the 17th century, stolen in Stockholm in the 1990s and sold to Americans by a German auction house were returned to Sweden on Wednesday, US officials said. US authorities handed back the books, intercepted by the FBI from a bookstore in Manhattan and from Cornell University, to the National Library of Sweden at a ceremony in New York.

Both books — whose most recent owners did not know had been stolen — were printed in the early 1600s in Europe during the Renaissance. The work by Italian architect Nicola Sabbatini, printed in 1638 is about stage craft and theater machinery, and “Oculus” by Bavarian physicist Christopher Scheiner is about the history of optics.

It was printed in 1619.

US prosecutors said they are two of at least 56 rare books stolen from the National Library of Sweden by employee Anders Burius between 1995 and 2004. Operating under a fake name, he sold them to German auction house, Ketterer Kunst, for cash. In 2004 he confessed and later committed suicide, US officials said.

Swedish investigators discovered that Ketterer sold 13 of the books to customers in the United States. The Sabbatini book was bought by Richard Lan, owner of Martayan Lan Rare Books in New York in 2001 for more than 27,436 euros ($30,850 by the current exchange rate).

The Scheiner was bought by a bookseller in New York in 1999, which sold it in 2001 to Cornell — one of the most elite universities in the country and based in Ithaca, New York. Both Cornell and Lan surrendered the books voluntarily to the FBI so that they could be returned to the National Library of Sweden after being informed they had been stolen.

Comments

Popular Posts

British Airways Plane Catches Fire In Las Vegas, injuries sustained by boarders

A British Airways plane caught fire on Tuesday as it was preparing to take off from Las Vegas, forcing the evacuation of 172 people on board on emergency slides. “There were 159 passengers and 13 crew on the flight,” McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas said.

Emma Nyra, Ubi Frankling open up on their rift

It is no longer news that Triple MG boss, Ubi Franklin and his record label first lady, Emma Nyra have called it quits. Yes, and it was not a matter they resolved at a roundtable, the once chummy-chummy duo took each other to the cleaners and put up a bit of a show on social media to fill their fans in on all the shindig that went down. At a point in their creamier than cream relationship, the duo were virtually inseparable, which set tongues wagging that they must have been more than mere friends. While the hint of a relationship was being dropped around, neither Ubi nor Emma saw anything wrong with it. Until the song changed! According to reports, the song changed for them when Ubi Frankin proposed to Nollywood actress, Lilian Esoro, presumably, shunning his ward who has been waiting in the wings for years. The song went from sorry to sad when Emma Nyra reportedly blurted out in an interview that she was never romantically involved with Ubi. Now, the sad song went very bad wh...