Skip to main content

Google to pull uphold for Chrome apps for Linux, Mac and Windows

Google has decided to pull out support for its Chrome browser packaged apps for Linux, Mac and Windows over the next two years. For those who do not know what Chrome apps are, they include – Google Drive, Google Store, Calendar, Google news, Google Docs, Sheets, and more.

Most of these apps are already hosted as regular web apps.
There are a lot of apps on the Chrome Web Store, which can be downloaded and launched through your Chrome browser and they open in a separate window – just like if a programme was installed on the computer.
“Today, approximately 1% of users on Windows, Mac and Linux actively use Chrome packaged apps. All types of Chrome apps will remain supported and maintained on Chrome OS for the foreseeable future. Additional enhancements to the Chrome apps platform will apply only to Chrome OS devices, including kiosks. Developers can continue to build Chrome apps (or Android apps) for Chrome OS,” said Rahul Roy-Chowdhury, VP Product Management at Google Chrome, in a blog post.
According to the post, new Chrome apps will only be available to users on Chrome OS starting late 2016. The Chrome apps that have been developed until that date will remain accessible to users across all platforms, with developers having continued access to update them.
“In the second half of 2017, the Chrome Web Store will no longer show Chrome apps on Windows, Mac, and Linux, but will continue to surface extensions and themes. In early 2018, users on these platforms will no longer be able to load Chrome apps,” Chowdhury added in the post.
(Indianexpress.com)

Comments

Popular Posts

Dangote acquires 16,000 hectares for commercial farming in Jigawa

The Dangote Group on Thursday said it had concluded arrangements to develop 16,000 hectares of land for commercial farming in Kafin-Hausa Local Government Area of Jigawa State. The representative of the company, Femi Afolabi, said this during a community sensitisation exercise in Kafin-Hausa. Afolabi said the company would develop 15,000 hectares for rice cultivation, while 1,000 hectares had been earmarked for construction of a modern rice mill. He said another 10,000 hectares of land would also be developed for seed out-grower farm, adding that the measure was to encourage production of quality seed. According to him, the company will spend about $250 million on the project, which will generate about 50,000 jobs among rural dwellers. Breaking down the figures, Afolabi explained that $150 million was earmarked for rice cultivation in Kafin-Hausa, while $100 million was for industrial sugarcane production in Kaugama. He said the company had made adequate arrangements to ens...

Check out how Uc Graphic photo came to be

These are the people behind the amazing designs you see on UC Browser. Say hi and let them know your suggestions!

Besiktas to move for Mikel

Besiktas have turned their attention to Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel after a move for Liverpool's Lucas Leiva stalled on loan with the Reds now keen to keep the Brazilian.