Skip to main content

Why Military Under Jonathan Failed to Defeat Boko Haram - Former CDS

Former Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) Admiral Ola Sa’ad Ibrahim (Rtd) has blamed politics for failure of the military to defeat Boko Haram under the leadership of former President Goodluck Jonathan, Dailypost reports.

Ibrahim on Monday in Abuja told journalists during a lecture he delivered at the National Defence College (NDC) on Military Leadership and National Security, that“In our time, there were so many distractions.”
The CDS served from October 2012 to January 16, 2014, and also as Chief of Naval Staff (CNS) from 2010 to 2012.
Ibrahim added that:“Up to the time the Commander in Chief then declared a State of Emergency, you will hear: ‘we are negotiating here and there, please slow down,’ north eastern elders were worried.
“Can you imagine fighting a war and the people you were trying to protect were thinking that soldiers out there on the streets of Maiduguri, were an army of occupation, which brought a lot of political dimension to the issues.
“And when political dimension, combined with several other policy choices, the result was what we saw, when the state of emergency was declared, I thought there was a little celebration, because the political dimension was like giving you a job and tying your hand behind your back.
“Besides the resources to take on such challenges were neither here nor there, to the level one would have expected, we were not prepared for the nature of the insurgency, even our procurement processes were tailored towards or heavier on conventional warfare.”
Credit: dailypost.com.ng

Comments

Popular Posts

Yemi Alade Shows Off Her Natural Hair

Pin-Up Naturalista! Yemi Alade Shows Off Her Short ‘fro Afro pop singer, Yemi Alade is all about the natural hair life. A few hours ago she posted this photo praising her natural hair that seems to be coming out of a split end phase. She captioned the photo – “Awwww mi natural hurrr….Thank You Lord…no more split ends.” We’re happy too Yemi…we’re happy too!

Dangote acquires 16,000 hectares for commercial farming in Jigawa

The Dangote Group on Thursday said it had concluded arrangements to develop 16,000 hectares of land for commercial farming in Kafin-Hausa Local Government Area of Jigawa State. The representative of the company, Femi Afolabi, said this during a community sensitisation exercise in Kafin-Hausa. Afolabi said the company would develop 15,000 hectares for rice cultivation, while 1,000 hectares had been earmarked for construction of a modern rice mill. He said another 10,000 hectares of land would also be developed for seed out-grower farm, adding that the measure was to encourage production of quality seed. According to him, the company will spend about $250 million on the project, which will generate about 50,000 jobs among rural dwellers. Breaking down the figures, Afolabi explained that $150 million was earmarked for rice cultivation in Kafin-Hausa, while $100 million was for industrial sugarcane production in Kaugama. He said the company had made adequate arrangements to ens...

Justin Bieber takes front cover of GQ Magazine

Nice...