Skip to main content

Election: Gusau residents decry low turn out of voters

Residents of Gusau Local Government Area of Zamfara, have decried low turnout of voters during the conduct of the local government election in the area.

A cross section of the residents told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Saturday in Gusau that they were not aware of the election.
Mr Tony Adah, an engineer, told NAN that although he saw campaign posters, he was not sure of the date of the election.
``I woke up this morning to prepare for work when my neighbour told me about the election.
``Initially I thought that movement will be restricted, but to my surprise, people are moving around with their vehicles doing their usual business.'' he said.
Hajia Marian Ibrahim, a business woman, also said she was not aware of the election as people were busy with their normal business activities.
``I just got to my shop where I do my business and I discovered that people are not participating in the election.
``It is possible the date of the election was not properly announced unlike the previous ones.
``The election is just for the sake of formality; everybody knows that the candidate of All Progressives Congress (APC) will win so there is no need to stress people,’’ she said.
NAN reports that the security personnel were seen manning various polling units early in the morning before officials of the state`s Independent Electoral Commission arrived with election materials. (NAN)

Comments

Popular Posts

See: The Notorious Boko Haram Kingpin Who Was Arrested Today By The Army (Photos)

Nigerian troops on Wednesday 23rd of September arrested scores of suspected Boko Haram terrorists including one of the Boko Haram kingpins in the area, Bulama Modu who happen to be the ‘Amir’ of Bulakuri (pictured below). The troops also rescued 241 women and children during the operation.