Skip to main content

Troops arrest suspected militants, recover arms in Bayelsa

Troops of the Joint Force in the Niger Delta, Operation Pulo Shield, have arrested suspected militants and pipeline vandals during their operations in the region.

They also said they recovered guns and ammunition including explosives which the suspects allegedly used to blow off pipelines.
The arrested suspects and the recovered arms and ammunition were paraded at the headquarters of the OPS on Opolo Road, Yenagoa, Bayelsa State capital, on Thursday.
The Commander, OPS, Maj. Gen. Alani Okunlola, said during a news conference that the arrest of the suspects and recovery of weapons were effected during raids on militant camps.
He said the feat was achieved during their operation along Benin River and adjoining creeks in Itagbene, Warri North Local Government Area of Delta State last week.
The suspects’ names according to Okunlola are Mako Ajagidi, a.k.a. Sorsor, Godspower Alebi and Okiti Ariri.
The Commander said the items recovered during the operation were one light machine gun, five AK 47 rifles, one G3 rifle and one LAR rifle.
Others, according to him, were 20 AK 47 magazines, two LAR rifle magazines, 145 rounds of 7.62mm X 39mm special, 299 x 7.62mm NATO ammunition, 273 rounds of 5.65mm ammunition, 10 dynamites and bundles of two detonating cords.
Okunlola said, “The recovery of arms and ammunition is as a result of the raids on suspected militant camps. The operation is a continuous one aimed at recovering all illegally acquired arms that have found their way into the Niger Delta region.”
The OPS commander called on the people of the Niger Delta to key into the outfit’s zero tolerance campaign against illegalities in the region.
He also urged the people to give useful information that would aid the troops of the Joint Force to track and arrest hoodlums.
He reassured the people of the command’s vigour and determination in the fight against crude oil theft, pipeline vandalism and other criminal activities in the Niger Delta.

Comments

Popular Posts

Dangote acquires 16,000 hectares for commercial farming in Jigawa

The Dangote Group on Thursday said it had concluded arrangements to develop 16,000 hectares of land for commercial farming in Kafin-Hausa Local Government Area of Jigawa State. The representative of the company, Femi Afolabi, said this during a community sensitisation exercise in Kafin-Hausa. Afolabi said the company would develop 15,000 hectares for rice cultivation, while 1,000 hectares had been earmarked for construction of a modern rice mill. He said another 10,000 hectares of land would also be developed for seed out-grower farm, adding that the measure was to encourage production of quality seed. According to him, the company will spend about $250 million on the project, which will generate about 50,000 jobs among rural dwellers. Breaking down the figures, Afolabi explained that $150 million was earmarked for rice cultivation in Kafin-Hausa, while $100 million was for industrial sugarcane production in Kaugama. He said the company had made adequate arrangements to ens...

Check out how Uc Graphic photo came to be

These are the people behind the amazing designs you see on UC Browser. Say hi and let them know your suggestions!

Besiktas to move for Mikel

Besiktas have turned their attention to Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel after a move for Liverpool's Lucas Leiva stalled on loan with the Reds now keen to keep the Brazilian.