Skip to main content

Scandal cost FIFA £67 million, first financial loss since 2001

FIFA’s crisis has caused a serious financial blow for the organisation which has suffered a £67 million financial loss in 2015.

A drop in income after sponsors — and huge legal bills following the corruption scandal — has seen the world governing body hit hard in the pocket. FIFA’s executive committee members were told on Wednesday the losses for the year totalled 103m Swiss francs, according to insiders. It is the first time the body has reported a loss since 2001.
FIFA has so far been unable to replace top tier partners Emirates and Sony — plus second tier sponsors Castrol, Continental and Johnson & Johnson — due to its toxic brand.
The revelation of the deficit will put pressure on FIFA’s ExCo members to vote for proposed reforms at its meeting on Thursday in order to attract new sponsors. The organisation has already made significant savings to reduce the level of the deficit.
FIFA’s income always drops in the year after World Cups but it has always previously managed to make a surplus — in 2011 it made a £24 million profit which was added to its reserves which currently total around £1 billion.
The legal bills are also significant — suspended president Sepp Blatter brought in a team of American lawyers after the U.S. justice department announced its indictments of 18 officials on football-related corruption charges in May. Blatter and other senior FIFA executives are also believed to be under investigation by the FBI.
FIFA’s last annual deficit came in 2001 when the bankruptcy of its marketing partner ISL saw the world governing body end the year in the red and forced to take out a £118 million bridging loan.
The proposed reforms to be voted on at FIFA’s ExCo meeting on Thursday include 12-year term limits for the president and ExCo members, financial transparency including the salary paid to the president and senior officials, plus some independent members sitting on the ruling committee.
Michel D’Hooghe, the Belgian who is the FIFA ExCo’s longest-serving member, said that the future of the organisation depended on the reforms being passed.
D’Hooghe said: “Don’t think that FIFA is dead. I have the assurance that if FIFA and the Congress can accept the reforms then FIFA has a good future. But we must know that this is a deep crisis, we must accept that and approach that with great humility.
“This is a difficult moment financially but the expectations are good I’m sure in the longer term FIFA will overcome that.”

Comments

Popular Posts

Dangote acquires 16,000 hectares for commercial farming in Jigawa

The Dangote Group on Thursday said it had concluded arrangements to develop 16,000 hectares of land for commercial farming in Kafin-Hausa Local Government Area of Jigawa State. The representative of the company, Femi Afolabi, said this during a community sensitisation exercise in Kafin-Hausa. Afolabi said the company would develop 15,000 hectares for rice cultivation, while 1,000 hectares had been earmarked for construction of a modern rice mill. He said another 10,000 hectares of land would also be developed for seed out-grower farm, adding that the measure was to encourage production of quality seed. According to him, the company will spend about $250 million on the project, which will generate about 50,000 jobs among rural dwellers. Breaking down the figures, Afolabi explained that $150 million was earmarked for rice cultivation in Kafin-Hausa, while $100 million was for industrial sugarcane production in Kaugama. He said the company had made adequate arrangements to ens...

Check out how Uc Graphic photo came to be

These are the people behind the amazing designs you see on UC Browser. Say hi and let them know your suggestions!

Besiktas to move for Mikel

Besiktas have turned their attention to Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel after a move for Liverpool's Lucas Leiva stalled on loan with the Reds now keen to keep the Brazilian.