Skip to main content

Pro-Faleke protesters lay siege to INEC office

Protesters clamouring for the declaration of Hon. Abiodun Faleke today, laid siege to the INEC headquarters in Abuja.
They called on the electoral commission to shelve its proposed supplementary poll in the state and declare Faleke as governor-elect.

The protesters who arrived the commission’s headquarters at about 11:00am on Thursday, said the scheduled supplementary poll was an afront on democracy.
One of the protesters who is a lawyer, Hajia Halima Alfa said Audu had won the election before his death.
She said that margin between the two leading parties was more than the number of voters with PVCs in the affected polling units and that INEC erred by not declaring the late Audu as the winner of the election.
“INEC was not sincere with democracy and the Kogi people.
Only 25,000 voters have PVCs in the 91 polling units where elections were cancelled. Going by the 41,000 margin with which the APC was leading, the party had won the election.
“We are in a situation in which even if all the 25,000 voters cast their votes for PDP, the election had already been won by the Audu/Faleke ticket.
INEC should not toy with the destinies of the over 500,000 people that voted during the election. Faleke should therefore be declared the governor-elect of the state”.
Vanguard gathered that majority of the protesters were supporters of the deceased politician and his running mate, Hon. Abiodun Faleke.
It would be recalled that INEC declared the Kogi governorship poll inconclusive before the demise of Audu. The commission said there are about 49,989 votes to be contested for.
The APC has also replaced the late politician with Alh. Yahaya Bello who came second during the August 29 governorship primary of the party.

Comments

Popular Posts

Dangote acquires 16,000 hectares for commercial farming in Jigawa

The Dangote Group on Thursday said it had concluded arrangements to develop 16,000 hectares of land for commercial farming in Kafin-Hausa Local Government Area of Jigawa State. The representative of the company, Femi Afolabi, said this during a community sensitisation exercise in Kafin-Hausa. Afolabi said the company would develop 15,000 hectares for rice cultivation, while 1,000 hectares had been earmarked for construction of a modern rice mill. He said another 10,000 hectares of land would also be developed for seed out-grower farm, adding that the measure was to encourage production of quality seed. According to him, the company will spend about $250 million on the project, which will generate about 50,000 jobs among rural dwellers. Breaking down the figures, Afolabi explained that $150 million was earmarked for rice cultivation in Kafin-Hausa, while $100 million was for industrial sugarcane production in Kaugama. He said the company had made adequate arrangements to ens...

Check out how Uc Graphic photo came to be

These are the people behind the amazing designs you see on UC Browser. Say hi and let them know your suggestions!

Besiktas to move for Mikel

Besiktas have turned their attention to Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel after a move for Liverpool's Lucas Leiva stalled on loan with the Reds now keen to keep the Brazilian.