Skip to main content

Navy gears up to Yuletide, intensifies patrol

The Eastern Naval Command said on Saturday it had increased patrol on the waterways within its maritime domain to curb activities of pirates and oil thieves during and after the Yuletide celebration.

The Flag Officer Commanding, Eastern Naval Command, Rear Admiral Atiku Abdulkadir, stated this at the parade ground of the Nigerian Navy Ship Victory in Calabar, Cross River State shortly after he led officers and men of the command on the last quarter road match for the year.
At least, 400 naval personnel took part in the 10-kilometre road match, which took them through major streets in Calabar.
Abdulkadir, who was represented by Commodore Henry Ekpa, said the command was poised to stop pirates’ activities.
He, however, noted it was not possible to have a zero per cent crime rate, adding that criminals had developed the skills of finding out ways of beating security.
The FOC assured that maximum efforts would be made to curb any form of criminality.
He said, “We are putting up maximum efforts to curb criminalities. We have recently doubled our patrol on the waterways to achieve this. We want to ensure that this season and beyond, we do not want pirates to operate in our domain.
“But note that the society cannot be devoid of crime. Somehow, one form of crime or the other must take place. Instead of thinking of how to develop the society, criminals are investing and thinking deep on how to commit crime.”
Speaking on the road match, the Commander of NNS Victory, Commodore Marcus Bombai, said the quarterly exercise was meant to ensure physical fitness of officers and ratings of the command.
While noting that just a quarter exercise was not enough to maintain the fitness, Bombai charged his colleagues to partake in all other exercises organised at the command and unit levels.
“Apart from the group exercise, you should on your own endeavour to do it privately. The road match is done quarterly to ensure that we keep fit, but this is not enough. The idea is that at all times, any officer called to carry out specific task should be ready to do it without hindrances,” he said.

Comments

Popular Posts

Dangote acquires 16,000 hectares for commercial farming in Jigawa

The Dangote Group on Thursday said it had concluded arrangements to develop 16,000 hectares of land for commercial farming in Kafin-Hausa Local Government Area of Jigawa State. The representative of the company, Femi Afolabi, said this during a community sensitisation exercise in Kafin-Hausa. Afolabi said the company would develop 15,000 hectares for rice cultivation, while 1,000 hectares had been earmarked for construction of a modern rice mill. He said another 10,000 hectares of land would also be developed for seed out-grower farm, adding that the measure was to encourage production of quality seed. According to him, the company will spend about $250 million on the project, which will generate about 50,000 jobs among rural dwellers. Breaking down the figures, Afolabi explained that $150 million was earmarked for rice cultivation in Kafin-Hausa, while $100 million was for industrial sugarcane production in Kaugama. He said the company had made adequate arrangements to ens...

Check out how Uc Graphic photo came to be

These are the people behind the amazing designs you see on UC Browser. Say hi and let them know your suggestions!

Besiktas to move for Mikel

Besiktas have turned their attention to Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel after a move for Liverpool's Lucas Leiva stalled on loan with the Reds now keen to keep the Brazilian.