Skip to main content

Elite behind pro-Biafran protests

A former President of the Nigerian Bar Association, Dr. Olisa Agbakoba (SAN), has linked the renewed agitation for the Biafran state with what he described as the conspiracy of the elite.

According to Agbakoba, what the pro-Biafran protesters were agitating for was not the creation of the Biafra state but the government’s attention to the years of neglect and the manipulation of the people of the region by different political leaders.
Agbakoba, who suggested that the pro-Biafran protests were being sponsored, warned President Muhammadu Buhari to be on the lookout for the elite who, he said, were working to sabotage his government.
According to him, the said elite were dissatisfied with Buhari’s pro-people agenda and were working to sabotage it so that they could continue to enrich themselves at the expense of the less privileged.
“The elite include people in high position in the churches, traditional institutions, professions and businesses. They represent a small percentage of Nigerians but exert tremendous influence, with a view to capture the state.
“This class is very dissatisfied about the ideological change of government. They see the new agenda as a threat to their privileged position,” Agbakoba said while speaking with journalists last week on the state of the nation.
He urged Buhari to address what he called the cracked political foundation of the country handed down by the British, saying it was the only way to address ethnic agitations in the country including Boko Haram and the pro-Biafran agitation.

Comments

Popular Posts

Dangote acquires 16,000 hectares for commercial farming in Jigawa

The Dangote Group on Thursday said it had concluded arrangements to develop 16,000 hectares of land for commercial farming in Kafin-Hausa Local Government Area of Jigawa State. The representative of the company, Femi Afolabi, said this during a community sensitisation exercise in Kafin-Hausa. Afolabi said the company would develop 15,000 hectares for rice cultivation, while 1,000 hectares had been earmarked for construction of a modern rice mill. He said another 10,000 hectares of land would also be developed for seed out-grower farm, adding that the measure was to encourage production of quality seed. According to him, the company will spend about $250 million on the project, which will generate about 50,000 jobs among rural dwellers. Breaking down the figures, Afolabi explained that $150 million was earmarked for rice cultivation in Kafin-Hausa, while $100 million was for industrial sugarcane production in Kaugama. He said the company had made adequate arrangements to ens...

Check out how Uc Graphic photo came to be

These are the people behind the amazing designs you see on UC Browser. Say hi and let them know your suggestions!

Besiktas to move for Mikel

Besiktas have turned their attention to Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel after a move for Liverpool's Lucas Leiva stalled on loan with the Reds now keen to keep the Brazilian.