Skip to main content

US seeks peaceful election in Bayelsa

The United States Government is interested in the December 5 governorship election in Bayelsa State.
The U.S Consul-General in Nigeria, John Bray, on Thursday visited the Governor of the state and candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the election, Mr. Seriake Dickson, to discuss issues bordering on the poll.

Bray said he came to inform Dickson of U.S plans to send an observer mission to monitor the poll, according to a statement signed by the governor’s Chief Press Secretary, Mr. Daniel Iworiso-Markson.
The consul-general also said he was in the Government House to share ideas with Dickson on how to conduct a free, fair and credible election.
He was accompanied to the state by the Political and Economic Chief in the U.S. Consulate in Lagos, Tom Hines and the Political Officer, Nick Austin.
Bray assured that the mission would work with the government and its agencies to ensure a smooth democratic process.
He called on political leaders, parties and their candidates to play by the rules for a free, fair and credible poll.
In his response, Dickson assured the international community of his administration’s commitment to ensuring a peaceful election in the state.
Dickson said as part of his preparations for the election, he was on a campaign and sensitisation tour of communities across the state.
The governor said he also used the opportunity to educate the people on the essence of a violence-free election, describing himself as an advocate of free, fair and credible polls.


Popular posts from this blog

BREAKING: Policemen shoot UNIOSUN students

There is confusion at Oke Baale area of Osogbo, the Osun State capital, as some policemen allegedly opened fire on some students of the Osun State University while playing football on Saturday morning.

Our correspondent gathered that that two students were hit by the bullets.

One of them identified as Abiola Kazeem, was said to have been hit on the stomach and was rejected at two hospitals before he was taken to LAUTECH Teaching Hospital Osogbo where he is now being treatment.