Skip to main content

Dikko engages Police to protect referees at NPFL venues

Chairman of the Leaguement Management Company, Shehu Dikko has announced the engagement of special security squads to protect match officials at various venues of the remaining Nigeria Professional Football League matches.

Dikko who announced this following successful talks with the Inspector General of Police, IGP, Solomon Arase, said a League Security Desk, (LSD) has been created for matches.
The second Vice President of the Nigeria Football Federation explained that all match venues will benefit from this additional security arrangement provided to manage the recent increasing spat of violence at match venues.
“We have had 359 games so far and, with the remaining 20 fixtures and the rescheduled game between Sunshine Stars and Lobi Stars, it is only natural that we take precautionary measures to check any ugly incidences," Dikko said.
"Our venues, so far, have been largely peaceful but security can never be enough hence we made the move to secure not just the match officials but also the fans and the clubs involved," he noted.
“For this reason, impress it on the referees that they must be strict in applying the rules during the matches without fear of molestation.
"It is important to build a security ring around our officials to protect them from the pockets of hooligans that are a feature of football matches globally. We have reached a period in the league when fans get desperate and can take laws into their hands,” he concluded.


Popular posts from this blog

BREAKING: Policemen shoot UNIOSUN students

There is confusion at Oke Baale area of Osogbo, the Osun State capital, as some policemen allegedly opened fire on some students of the Osun State University while playing football on Saturday morning.

Our correspondent gathered that that two students were hit by the bullets.

One of them identified as Abiola Kazeem, was said to have been hit on the stomach and was rejected at two hospitals before he was taken to LAUTECH Teaching Hospital Osogbo where he is now being treatment.