Skip to main content

How Abuja multiple blasts happened – NEMA

Twin suicide bombers detonated two bombs each both in Kuje and in Nyanya on Friday night in Abuja, according to latest updates from the National Emergency Management Agency.

It was gathered that the bombers targeted the Kuje evening market, the police station in Kuje, and the ever busy road at Nyanya. It was also learnt that a total of 15 persons died, while 41 others were injured.
Senior officials at NEMA told our correspondent on Saturday morning that the suicide bomber who targeted the Kuje police station died while climbing the fence of the station when the bomb that was strapped to his body went off.
Explaining how the blasts actually occurred, the Senior Information Officer, NEMA, Mr. Sani Datti, said, “Out of the rush, different reports and accounts were given. The update I have is that there were twin suicide bombs in each of the locations where the blasts occurred. The first twin bomb blasts occurred at Nyanya. Another set of twin bomb blasts by suicide bombers occurred at Kuje.
“The blasts in Nyanya occurred at almost the same place where the last bomb explosion happened in that area. But this time, there were two suicide bombers and they detonated their bombs there. Many people didn’t know that there were two suicide bombers and they both detonated their bombs.”
The official told our correspondent that the blasts at Kuje was also done by suicide bombers at the market in the area and at the police station.
Datti said, “One was detonated at the evening market in Kuje and the second one was detonated when the suicide bomber was attempting to climb the fence of the police station still in Kuje.”
On the number of persons affected by the blasts, Sani said 15 people lost their lives, while 41 others were injured.
He said the injured had been taken to the National Hospital and the Asokoro Hospital in Abuja.
He said, “In Kuje, 13 persons have been confirmed dead, while two people were killed in Nyanya. In Kuje 20 people were injured, while 21 were injured in Nyanya. This means a total of 41 persons were injured while 15 deaths were recorded. Please these were as a result of suicide bomb attacks and not that bombs were planted in these areas as speculated.”

Comments

Popular Posts

Aha! New Deadly Snake Species Found in Australia

There is a new deadly snake found in Western Australia, specifically in the north region of Kimberley. Hence, this is called Kimberley death adder; named after the place where it was discovered. This is known to be one of the top 10 deadliest snakes in the world. Though this is rarely found in other parts of the world, this is endemic in Western Australia where it was found.

[PHOTOS] Phyno Becomes Nairabet Ambassador!

Popular indigenous rapper Azubuike Chibuzo Nelson, well known as Phyno has joined the list of entertainers as ambassador of online sports betting portal, Nairabet.

We will work with Buhari to destroy BokoHaram, says US

The United States of America has said it will work with President Muhammadu Buhari to stop the menace of Boko Haram in Nigeria and its neighbouring countries. Erstwhile President Goodluck Jonathan had complained during his tenure about the unwillingness of the American government to assist Nigeria in prosecuting the war against the terrorist group, especially in selling weapons to the country. But Washington said it would work with Buhari to likely increase the US’ level of support though it did not say whether that would include sales of lethal weapons earlier requested for by the Federal Government. The US Assistant Secretary, Bureau of African Affairs, Linda Thomas-Greenfield, during a telephone press briefing on Monday, held in South Africa at the 25th African Union Summit, and monitored by our correspondent in Lagos, stated that Washington was committed to ensuring that Nigeria wins its battle against the terrorist group. “Fighting terrorism is not easy. Since 2001 we have...