Skip to main content

Blatter stands firm despite Coca Cola, Visa and McDonald's demanding resignation


Sepp Blatter insists he will not resign as Fifa president, despite coming under fire from three of the organisation's biggest sponsors, Coca Cola, McDonald's and Visa.

The corruption scandal engulfing world football's governing body last week caught up with Blatter, as criminal proceedings were opened against him by Swiss authorities on suspicion of criminal mismanagement and misappropriation.
Coca Cola and Visa - headline Fifa partners - as well as World Cup sponsor McDonald's have previously expressed their concern over the numerous revelations of corruption and mismanagement.
But both companies have now called for tough action to be taken, demanding Blatter step down immediately from a role that he is set to relinquish regardless in February.
A McDonald's statement claimed "it would be in the best interest of the game for Fifa President Sepp Blatter to step down immediately", while McDonald's said "every day that passes, the image and reputation of Fifa continues to tarnish", and Visa added "we believe no meaningful reform can be made under Fifa’s existing leadership".
However, a statement released via Blatter's legal team after Coca Cola's initial release read: "While Coca Cola is a valued sponsor of Fifa, Mr Blatter respectfully disagrees with its position and believes firmly that his leaving office now would not be in the best interest of Fifa nor would it advance the process of reform and therefore, he will not resign."

Comments

Popular Posts

British Airways Plane Catches Fire In Las Vegas, injuries sustained by boarders

A British Airways plane caught fire on Tuesday as it was preparing to take off from Las Vegas, forcing the evacuation of 172 people on board on emergency slides. “There were 159 passengers and 13 crew on the flight,” McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas said.

Emma Nyra, Ubi Frankling open up on their rift

It is no longer news that Triple MG boss, Ubi Franklin and his record label first lady, Emma Nyra have called it quits. Yes, and it was not a matter they resolved at a roundtable, the once chummy-chummy duo took each other to the cleaners and put up a bit of a show on social media to fill their fans in on all the shindig that went down. At a point in their creamier than cream relationship, the duo were virtually inseparable, which set tongues wagging that they must have been more than mere friends. While the hint of a relationship was being dropped around, neither Ubi nor Emma saw anything wrong with it. Until the song changed! According to reports, the song changed for them when Ubi Frankin proposed to Nollywood actress, Lilian Esoro, presumably, shunning his ward who has been waiting in the wings for years. The song went from sorry to sad when Emma Nyra reportedly blurted out in an interview that she was never romantically involved with Ubi. Now, the sad song went very bad wh...