Skip to main content

Scores Jump to Their Death as Fire Razes Lagos Market



A number of people yesterday were feared dead and others injured when fire gutted a six-storey plaza at the Balogun market in Lagos state.
Many shoes and clothing wholesalers were located in the plaza and it's surrounded by several important businesses which included the Union Bank, Diamond Bank and the United Bank for Africa.

The fire which started at about 9am was caused by an electric discharge and was battled by a team of combined fire fighters from the Union Bank and UBA before the arrival of the Lagos State Fire Service.
Eyewitnesses say some people who jumped out from various floors of the burning plaza to escape the fire were carried away dead.
Mallam Hamza Abdullahi, a trader in the market said he saw three dead bodies and five people who were wounded.
“People were shouting and jumping down from up stairs, I saw a woman dead with her skull open, he said.
A staff of the Lagos State Ambulance Mobile Intensive Care Service, Mrs. Florence Adewunmi, said some victims had been stabilised and transferred to the hospital.
“There are several casualties. We got a distress call at about 10am that there was fire outbreak at Balogun behind UBA.
“We proceeded here and learnt that they have rushed some people to General Hospital, Lagos but we met some casualties on ground.
“The patients jumped from the second, third and fourth floor and had fractures and various degrees of injuries.
“There were those that inhaled too much smoke so we gave some oxygen, some Dyclofenac injection, we treated ankle dislocations, we sutured deep cuts before carrying them to General Hospital, Lagos.
‘‘So far, we have carried six people to hospital and discharged four after treatment,’’ Adewunmi said
NAN

Comments

Popular Posts

Dangote acquires 16,000 hectares for commercial farming in Jigawa

The Dangote Group on Thursday said it had concluded arrangements to develop 16,000 hectares of land for commercial farming in Kafin-Hausa Local Government Area of Jigawa State. The representative of the company, Femi Afolabi, said this during a community sensitisation exercise in Kafin-Hausa. Afolabi said the company would develop 15,000 hectares for rice cultivation, while 1,000 hectares had been earmarked for construction of a modern rice mill. He said another 10,000 hectares of land would also be developed for seed out-grower farm, adding that the measure was to encourage production of quality seed. According to him, the company will spend about $250 million on the project, which will generate about 50,000 jobs among rural dwellers. Breaking down the figures, Afolabi explained that $150 million was earmarked for rice cultivation in Kafin-Hausa, while $100 million was for industrial sugarcane production in Kaugama. He said the company had made adequate arrangements to ens...

Check out how Uc Graphic photo came to be

These are the people behind the amazing designs you see on UC Browser. Say hi and let them know your suggestions!

Besiktas to move for Mikel

Besiktas have turned their attention to Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel after a move for Liverpool's Lucas Leiva stalled on loan with the Reds now keen to keep the Brazilian.