Skip to main content

China signs deal with Africa's richest man, Aliko Dangote



A Chinese state-owned engineering company has signed a deal worth $4.3bn (£2.8bn) to build factories for a Nigerian cement company run by Africa's richest man, Aliko Dangote.

China's Sinoma will build seven plants across the continent and one in Nepal.
The new factories will add around 25 million tonnes to the firm's existing cement capacity of 45 million tonnes.
Mr Dangote's company also produces food, fertiliser and is investing in oil refineries.
He is keeping a close eye on China's economic problems and the ensuing lower oil price.
"Of course we are affected," he said, "but we are not badly affected because we are not 100% in oil.
"We are a fully diversified company. So today if oil is doing [badly] it doesn't mean we are doing [badly] and that's the good thing about diversification."
Africa's economies have been hit hard by the fall in commodity prices but many are seeing a boom in infrastructure, for which cement is vital.

Comments

Popular Posts

Justin Bieber takes front cover of GQ Magazine

Nice...

What the hell...

Return of batman??

Dangote acquires 16,000 hectares for commercial farming in Jigawa

The Dangote Group on Thursday said it had concluded arrangements to develop 16,000 hectares of land for commercial farming in Kafin-Hausa Local Government Area of Jigawa State. The representative of the company, Femi Afolabi, said this during a community sensitisation exercise in Kafin-Hausa. Afolabi said the company would develop 15,000 hectares for rice cultivation, while 1,000 hectares had been earmarked for construction of a modern rice mill. He said another 10,000 hectares of land would also be developed for seed out-grower farm, adding that the measure was to encourage production of quality seed. According to him, the company will spend about $250 million on the project, which will generate about 50,000 jobs among rural dwellers. Breaking down the figures, Afolabi explained that $150 million was earmarked for rice cultivation in Kafin-Hausa, while $100 million was for industrial sugarcane production in Kaugama. He said the company had made adequate arrangements to ens...