Skip to main content

Taiwan boy trips, accidentally damages Italian painting worth $2 million

A 12-year-old boy has accidentally punched a hole through a centuries-old, $2 million Italian oil painting after he tripped and fell into the piece during an exhibition in Taiwan.
The painting, entitled Flowers by Italian artist Paolo Porpora, dates back to the 1600s and is part of a collection of 55 artworks on show in the country's capital, Taipei.

Video footage released by the organisers showed the boy trip over a platform in front of the artwork and then brace himself against the painting to break his fall.
He then looked around helplessly before walking away.
"The child fell and pressed onto the painting, putting a fist-sized tear in it," said an employee at TST Art of Discovery, which organised The Face of Leonardo exhibition.
The organisers have decided not to seek damages from the boy's family, according to China News Agency.
The painting is being restored on site, the exhibition's organisers said in a Facebook post on Monday.
A self-portrait by Leonardo Da Vinci worth 200 million euros ($321.6 million) is also being exhibited at the show, according to the exhibition's website.
It is not the first time a priceless piece of art has been accidentally damaged.
In another instance, gaming tycoon Steve Wynn accidentally poked his elbow through the canvas of a $139 million Picasso painting.
In 2006, a British man smashed a set of 300-year-old Chinese vases after tripping over his shoelaces at a museum in Cambridge.

Comments

Popular Posts

Dangote acquires 16,000 hectares for commercial farming in Jigawa

The Dangote Group on Thursday said it had concluded arrangements to develop 16,000 hectares of land for commercial farming in Kafin-Hausa Local Government Area of Jigawa State. The representative of the company, Femi Afolabi, said this during a community sensitisation exercise in Kafin-Hausa. Afolabi said the company would develop 15,000 hectares for rice cultivation, while 1,000 hectares had been earmarked for construction of a modern rice mill. He said another 10,000 hectares of land would also be developed for seed out-grower farm, adding that the measure was to encourage production of quality seed. According to him, the company will spend about $250 million on the project, which will generate about 50,000 jobs among rural dwellers. Breaking down the figures, Afolabi explained that $150 million was earmarked for rice cultivation in Kafin-Hausa, while $100 million was for industrial sugarcane production in Kaugama. He said the company had made adequate arrangements to ens...

Check out how Uc Graphic photo came to be

These are the people behind the amazing designs you see on UC Browser. Say hi and let them know your suggestions!

Besiktas to move for Mikel

Besiktas have turned their attention to Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel after a move for Liverpool's Lucas Leiva stalled on loan with the Reds now keen to keep the Brazilian.