Skip to main content

17-year-old migrant killed in shootout at sea with Greek police

A 17-year-old migrant was killed during a shootout at sea between Greek port police and human smugglers, the government said late Saturday.
“A serious incident occurred off the island of Symi when a yacht carrying 70 migrants from Turkey’s western shores tried to illegally enter (Greek waters),” the marine ministry said in a statement.

Greek port police and officials from the EU border agency Frontex managed to halt and board the boat.
Shots were fired during scuffles between the police and three Turkish suspected people smugglers, the ministry said.
One of the suspected smugglers, who were all arrested, admitted to injuring an officer after grabbing his pistol, the statement added.
The dead migrant was “probably killed by gunfire”, a doctor at Symi health centre was quoted as saying.
An investigation into his death has been launched. No details on his origin were given.
Marine Minister Christos Zois expressed sadness over the youth’s death while praising the police for their “daily struggle in difficult conditions to aid migrants”.
Greece is struggling to cope with the arrival of unprecedented numbers of people seeking refuge in Europe, mostly asylum-seekers fleeing wars in the Middle East and Asia.
Over 160,000 migrants have landed on Greece’s shores so far this year.
(VANGUARD)

Comments

Popular Posts

Justin Bieber takes front cover of GQ Magazine

Nice...

What the hell...

Return of batman??

Dangote acquires 16,000 hectares for commercial farming in Jigawa

The Dangote Group on Thursday said it had concluded arrangements to develop 16,000 hectares of land for commercial farming in Kafin-Hausa Local Government Area of Jigawa State. The representative of the company, Femi Afolabi, said this during a community sensitisation exercise in Kafin-Hausa. Afolabi said the company would develop 15,000 hectares for rice cultivation, while 1,000 hectares had been earmarked for construction of a modern rice mill. He said another 10,000 hectares of land would also be developed for seed out-grower farm, adding that the measure was to encourage production of quality seed. According to him, the company will spend about $250 million on the project, which will generate about 50,000 jobs among rural dwellers. Breaking down the figures, Afolabi explained that $150 million was earmarked for rice cultivation in Kafin-Hausa, while $100 million was for industrial sugarcane production in Kaugama. He said the company had made adequate arrangements to ens...