Skip to main content

Workers in Ondo State May Suspend Proposed Strike After Meeting with State Government

The Ondo state government has reached an agreement with organized labour unions to suspend the proposed indefinite strike over unpaid workers salaries and allowances.

At a joint meeting held at the governor's office, Alagbaka, Akure, the government agreed to pay all outstanding allowances and deductions for March and April within twenty four hours.

The labour unions also directed the payment of May salary of local government workers and primary school teachers across the state while other state workers would be paid after the sharing of next federation allocation.


Speaking with newsmen, the state chairman of the public service Joint Negotiating Council, JNC, Comrade Sunday Adeleye threatened that the unions would embark on the strike if government failed to honour the agreements in the next twenty four hours.

In an interview, the State Head of service, Mr Toyin Akinkuotu promised that government was committed to workers' welfare and would fulfill its part of the agreement.

The peace meeting was attended by The Special Adviser to the governor on labour matters, Mr Dayo Fadahunsi and the permanent Secretary, ministry of finance as well as the chairmen and secretaries of various labour unions in the state.

Comments

Popular Posts

Dangote acquires 16,000 hectares for commercial farming in Jigawa

The Dangote Group on Thursday said it had concluded arrangements to develop 16,000 hectares of land for commercial farming in Kafin-Hausa Local Government Area of Jigawa State. The representative of the company, Femi Afolabi, said this during a community sensitisation exercise in Kafin-Hausa. Afolabi said the company would develop 15,000 hectares for rice cultivation, while 1,000 hectares had been earmarked for construction of a modern rice mill. He said another 10,000 hectares of land would also be developed for seed out-grower farm, adding that the measure was to encourage production of quality seed. According to him, the company will spend about $250 million on the project, which will generate about 50,000 jobs among rural dwellers. Breaking down the figures, Afolabi explained that $150 million was earmarked for rice cultivation in Kafin-Hausa, while $100 million was for industrial sugarcane production in Kaugama. He said the company had made adequate arrangements to ens...

Check out how Uc Graphic photo came to be

These are the people behind the amazing designs you see on UC Browser. Say hi and let them know your suggestions!

Besiktas to move for Mikel

Besiktas have turned their attention to Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel after a move for Liverpool's Lucas Leiva stalled on loan with the Reds now keen to keep the Brazilian.