Skip to main content

We will work with Buhari to destroy BokoHaram, says US

The United States of America has said it will work with President Muhammadu Buhari to stop the menace of Boko Haram in Nigeria and its neighbouring countries.

Erstwhile President Goodluck Jonathan had complained during his tenure about the unwillingness of the American government to assist Nigeria in prosecuting the war against the terrorist group, especially in selling weapons to the country.

But Washington said it would work with Buhari to likely increase the US’ level of support though it did not say whether that would include sales of lethal weapons earlier requested for by the Federal Government.

The US Assistant Secretary, Bureau of African Affairs, Linda Thomas-Greenfield, during a telephone press briefing on Monday, held in South Africa at the 25th African Union Summit, and monitored by our correspondent in Lagos, stated that Washington was committed to ensuring that Nigeria wins its battle against the terrorist group.

“Fighting terrorism is not easy. Since 2001 we have been fighting terrorism and we will continue to fight terrorists. Fighting in Africa requires support of the entire region,” Thomas-Greenfield said.

The US government added that the Boko Haram insurgency was not a Nigerian problem alone. According to its representative, the US is working closely with Nigeria’s neighbours to curtail the activities of the terrorist group.

She added that the US was committing $5 million to Nigeria’s efforts at defeating Boko Haram and that Nigeria had been receiving equipment and technical assistance from the US.

Contrary to President Buhari’s statement on Sunday at the AU Summit, the US assistant secretary, Bureau of African Affairs, said Africa was not under siege, though she admitted the continent was facing “really horrific attacks in recent times.”

“I’ll not say Africa is under siege. I’ll say Africa is facing some challenging security situations,” she said.

Comments

Popular Posts

Emma Nyra, Ubi Frankling open up on their rift

It is no longer news that Triple MG boss, Ubi Franklin and his record label first lady, Emma Nyra have called it quits. Yes, and it was not a matter they resolved at a roundtable, the once chummy-chummy duo took each other to the cleaners and put up a bit of a show on social media to fill their fans in on all the shindig that went down. At a point in their creamier than cream relationship, the duo were virtually inseparable, which set tongues wagging that they must have been more than mere friends. While the hint of a relationship was being dropped around, neither Ubi nor Emma saw anything wrong with it. Until the song changed! According to reports, the song changed for them when Ubi Frankin proposed to Nollywood actress, Lilian Esoro, presumably, shunning his ward who has been waiting in the wings for years. The song went from sorry to sad when Emma Nyra reportedly blurted out in an interview that she was never romantically involved with Ubi. Now, the sad song went very bad wh...

British Airways Plane Catches Fire In Las Vegas, injuries sustained by boarders

A British Airways plane caught fire on Tuesday as it was preparing to take off from Las Vegas, forcing the evacuation of 172 people on board on emergency slides. “There were 159 passengers and 13 crew on the flight,” McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas said.