Skip to main content

#Insurgency: Boko Haram kills 37 in five Borno villages


Suspected Boko Haram gunmen killed no fewer than 37 people in five villages around Maiduguri, the capital of Borno State, a military source and a local village defence group said on Friday.

The attackers, who arrived on motorcycles and in four-wheel drive vehicles, fired into houses and shot fleeing locals on Wednesday evening and in the early hours of Thursday, the military source added.

“Reports indicated a total of 37 people were killed by the insurgents during the separate attacks,” said the source who asked not to be named.

A member of a village defence group known locally as the Civilian Joint Task Force, Malum Idrissa, also told Reuters that the death toll was 37 and that the affected villages were 56 miles from Maiduguri.

Details of the attack emerged a day after President Muhammadu Buhari held a summit with regional counterparts to set up a joint military force to counter Boko Haram.

The Boko Haram terror group has killed thousands and left about 1.5 million displaced in the last six years.

The military relocated its command centre to Maiduguri this week for a renewed effort to tackle the Boko Haram activities.

Over 80 people were killed in bomb blasts in the city last week by the insurgents.

Comments

Popular Posts

Justin Bieber takes front cover of GQ Magazine

Nice...

What the hell...

Return of batman??

Dangote acquires 16,000 hectares for commercial farming in Jigawa

The Dangote Group on Thursday said it had concluded arrangements to develop 16,000 hectares of land for commercial farming in Kafin-Hausa Local Government Area of Jigawa State. The representative of the company, Femi Afolabi, said this during a community sensitisation exercise in Kafin-Hausa. Afolabi said the company would develop 15,000 hectares for rice cultivation, while 1,000 hectares had been earmarked for construction of a modern rice mill. He said another 10,000 hectares of land would also be developed for seed out-grower farm, adding that the measure was to encourage production of quality seed. According to him, the company will spend about $250 million on the project, which will generate about 50,000 jobs among rural dwellers. Breaking down the figures, Afolabi explained that $150 million was earmarked for rice cultivation in Kafin-Hausa, while $100 million was for industrial sugarcane production in Kaugama. He said the company had made adequate arrangements to ens...