Skip to main content

Edo APC loses assembly seat to PDP



Edo state chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC), on Friday, lost Estako West II constituency to the Peoples Democratic (PDP) following the declaration of Gallant Sylvanus Peter as the duly elected member of the State House of Assembly by the State Election Petition Tribunal.

The PDP candidate had challenged the declaration of Gowon Yakubu, candidate of the APC, as winner of the 11 April, 2015 by the Independent National Electoral Commission. (INEC), at the tribunal.

Delivering the judgment, Chairman of the tribunal, Justice E. Abuua, held that the notice of intention to hold party primaries sent to INEC by the APC, was less than the mandatory 21 days, adding that, the notice of intention to hold primary was given on November 13 2014 while the primaries were held on 1 December, 2014, meaning that Gowon Yakubu was not duly nominated by the APC.

The tribunal therefore said all the votes cast for the APC candidate was wasted as a result of which the first runner up who had 4001 votes was the rightful person to be declared winner of the election.

Reacting to the judgement, the State Chairman of the PDP, Chief Dan Orbih, said the judgment was a proof that PDP is in charge of the state, adding that the judgment has kept the hope of Edo people alive.

Chief Orbih said the wind of change showed that Governor Oshiomhole is now represented by a PDP lawmaker.

But in his own reaction, the state Publicity Secretary of the APC, Comrade Godwin Erhahon, said the party’s candidates were duly nominated, just as he hinted that the party’s legal team would handle the situation.

Comments

Popular Posts

Dangote acquires 16,000 hectares for commercial farming in Jigawa

The Dangote Group on Thursday said it had concluded arrangements to develop 16,000 hectares of land for commercial farming in Kafin-Hausa Local Government Area of Jigawa State. The representative of the company, Femi Afolabi, said this during a community sensitisation exercise in Kafin-Hausa. Afolabi said the company would develop 15,000 hectares for rice cultivation, while 1,000 hectares had been earmarked for construction of a modern rice mill. He said another 10,000 hectares of land would also be developed for seed out-grower farm, adding that the measure was to encourage production of quality seed. According to him, the company will spend about $250 million on the project, which will generate about 50,000 jobs among rural dwellers. Breaking down the figures, Afolabi explained that $150 million was earmarked for rice cultivation in Kafin-Hausa, while $100 million was for industrial sugarcane production in Kaugama. He said the company had made adequate arrangements to ens...

Check out how Uc Graphic photo came to be

These are the people behind the amazing designs you see on UC Browser. Say hi and let them know your suggestions!

Besiktas to move for Mikel

Besiktas have turned their attention to Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel after a move for Liverpool's Lucas Leiva stalled on loan with the Reds now keen to keep the Brazilian.