Skip to main content

Pay our six months’ salary, doctors tell Aregbesola



The Nigeria Medical Association has accused Osun State Governor, Mr. Rauf Aregbesola, of deliberately denying workers their six months’ salaries.

The Chairman of NMA Action Committee in the state, Dr. R.A. Adebayo, said in a letter to the governor and a copy of which was made available to our correspondent in Osogbo on Friday, that the governor had collected up to March, 2015 allocation but he refused to pay doctors and other workers.

NMA also alleged that Aregbesola had deliberately made himself unavailable for dialogue with the association over the issue.

It said a meeting called at the instance of the state Head of Service with the National President of NMA, Dr. Kayode Obembe, and the Chairman of NMA in Oyo State branch, Dr. M.B Olatunji, based on the ultimatum given to Osun State Government led to many “discoveries.”

The association said, “Despite the non-payment of six months salaries to doctors and other civil servants in Osun, contractors and political office holders have been the beneficiaries of the available revenue accrued to our state from the federation account.

“Our association therefore concluded that the non-payment of six months salaries to our members as well as other civil servants is not a matter of government inability but unwillingness to pay.”

The NMA, however, accused the governor of paying political appointees who they said earned jumbo pay while workers who were paid peanuts were left to suffer.

The association therefore called on Argebsola to pay workers’ salaries without further delay, saying the governor should be held responsible for any action taken by doctors if their salaries were not paid.

But Agebesola blamed the alleged mishandling of the nation’s resources for the inability to pay workers regularly.

In a statement sent to our correspondent by his media aide, Mr. Semiu Okanlawon, the governor said, “With transparent handling of national resources, the days of revenue crisis in Nigeria will soon be over and workers will once again be assured of their place of priority. We are committed to furthering our achievements in Osun State as far as the welfare of workers is concerned.”

Comments

Popular Posts

Dangote acquires 16,000 hectares for commercial farming in Jigawa

The Dangote Group on Thursday said it had concluded arrangements to develop 16,000 hectares of land for commercial farming in Kafin-Hausa Local Government Area of Jigawa State. The representative of the company, Femi Afolabi, said this during a community sensitisation exercise in Kafin-Hausa. Afolabi said the company would develop 15,000 hectares for rice cultivation, while 1,000 hectares had been earmarked for construction of a modern rice mill. He said another 10,000 hectares of land would also be developed for seed out-grower farm, adding that the measure was to encourage production of quality seed. According to him, the company will spend about $250 million on the project, which will generate about 50,000 jobs among rural dwellers. Breaking down the figures, Afolabi explained that $150 million was earmarked for rice cultivation in Kafin-Hausa, while $100 million was for industrial sugarcane production in Kaugama. He said the company had made adequate arrangements to ens...

Check out how Uc Graphic photo came to be

These are the people behind the amazing designs you see on UC Browser. Say hi and let them know your suggestions!

Besiktas to move for Mikel

Besiktas have turned their attention to Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel after a move for Liverpool's Lucas Leiva stalled on loan with the Reds now keen to keep the Brazilian.