Skip to main content

Robbers storm Lagos community, kill resident, loot valuables

Some suspected robbers have attacked some communities in the Agege area of Lagos State, killing a resident, Rasheed Durojaiye.

The 43-year-old father of three was shot in the stomach after hitting one of the robbers in the head with an iron rod.
PUNCH Metro learnt that the robbers, who raided Ola Ore and Ajebori Ogbon streets and looted valuables, were armed with guns and cutlasses, among other weapons.
But the Divisional Police Officer, Isokoko Police Division, Ifedolapo Badmos, and the Area Commander, Ebuka Edward, were said to have led a team of officers who apprehended two of the robbers with guns.
The suspects ─ Akeem Akinsanya and Tunji Taiwo ─ had reportedly been transferred to the State Anti-Robbery Squad, Ikeja.
A resident of Ola Ore, Mrs. Tunmise Ajibola, said the robbers struck around 3am on Sunday.
She said she had gone to the toilet when the robbers broke down the gate.
Durojaiye
Ajibola, a trader, explained that the gang dragged her from the toilet and collected her valuables.
She said, “I was in the toilet when I saw them entering from one room to the other and dispossessing tenants of their valuables.
“They carried guns and cutlasses. They could not be less than 10 that entered our house. There was a lady among them.
“They were collecting phones and money. They later came to drag me from the toilet and demanded my valuables.”
Our correspondent gathered that late Durojaiye initially escaped from the house with his wife’s valuables and fled to a neighbouring street where his younger brother, Alado, worked as a member of a local vigilance group.
He was said to have returned with Alado, along with eight other security guards.
Alado said, “About 30 minutes before my brother came to tell us of the robbery, there had been a report that another set of robbers were operating in Ajebori Ogbon Street and the policemen with who we always patrol had gone there.
“So, when he came, wearing only a towel, there were just eight of us on ground and we followed him home.
“When we arrived at the house, he was in front and saw one of the robbers. He picked an iron rod and struck him.
“But another robber, who was inside, came out and shot him in the hand and stomach.”
The victim was said to have been rushed to three different private hospitals where he was rejected.
His widow, who asked not to be named, said the doctors asked for a police report.
“He died at the frontage of the last hospital.
“My husband was the breadwinner of the family. Since his death, I have no one to cater to me and my three children. The government should come to our rescue,” she said.
She, however, commended the police for arresting two of the suspects, urging that justice be done.
A police source said one of the suspects, Akinsanya, had been identified as the one who fired the shot that killed Durojaiye.
He said, “It was around 12pm of the same day that they were caught. They were arrested with a cut-to-size gun and a double-barrelled gun.
“A relative of the deceased has identified Akinsanya as one of the robbers. The two suspects are now in SARS custody.”
The Police Public Relations Officer, Joe Offor, when contacted, promised to call back.
But he had yet to do so as of the time of filing this report.

Comments

Popular Posts

Dangote acquires 16,000 hectares for commercial farming in Jigawa

The Dangote Group on Thursday said it had concluded arrangements to develop 16,000 hectares of land for commercial farming in Kafin-Hausa Local Government Area of Jigawa State. The representative of the company, Femi Afolabi, said this during a community sensitisation exercise in Kafin-Hausa. Afolabi said the company would develop 15,000 hectares for rice cultivation, while 1,000 hectares had been earmarked for construction of a modern rice mill. He said another 10,000 hectares of land would also be developed for seed out-grower farm, adding that the measure was to encourage production of quality seed. According to him, the company will spend about $250 million on the project, which will generate about 50,000 jobs among rural dwellers. Breaking down the figures, Afolabi explained that $150 million was earmarked for rice cultivation in Kafin-Hausa, while $100 million was for industrial sugarcane production in Kaugama. He said the company had made adequate arrangements to ens...

Check out how Uc Graphic photo came to be

These are the people behind the amazing designs you see on UC Browser. Say hi and let them know your suggestions!

Besiktas to move for Mikel

Besiktas have turned their attention to Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel after a move for Liverpool's Lucas Leiva stalled on loan with the Reds now keen to keep the Brazilian.