Monday, 6 July 2015

Governors oppose relocation of Boko Haram suspects to South East


Governors of five south-eastern states of Nigeria have appealed to the Federal Government to reconsider the relocation some Boko Haram suspects in Ekwulobia Prisons in Anambra State to Abuja, which they considered more secured.

The Imo State Governor, Mr. Rochas Okorocha, told journalists on Sunday in Owerri, after the meeting of the governors that after considering the protests and tension the relocation of some Boko Haram suspects had been generating decided to appeal to the Federal Government to reconsider its decision of relocating the detainees to Abuja which would be a more secured place than the South-East.


“South-East is part of Nigeria and the people of the zone also share in the pains of our brothers and sisters in the North-East, who have been under severe attacks from Boko Haram insurgents.

“But we are appealing to the Federal Government to reconsider its decision of detaining some of the suspects, as their presence is already generating tension.

“We sincerely believe that the best place to detain the suspects should be in Abuja which is more secured than in the South-East and their relocation will definitely calm down rising tension in the zone,” he said.

The governors also appealed to the Federal Government to rehabilitate those who were also victims of Boko Haram from the zone and that whatever relief being considered for other victims should also be extended to them.
Post a Comment