Skip to main content

Sepp Blatter Steps Down As FIFA President



The 79-year-old, who has held the post for 17 years, has stepped down in light of the corruption scandal which has blighted the world governing body.

Sepp Blatter has announced he will step down as president of Fifa, calling an extraordinary congress “as rapidly as possible” at which a successor will be selected.

The Swiss announced his decision at a hastily-arranged press conference on Tuesday after his secretary-general Jerome Valcke had earlier been implicated in the US Department of Justice’s investigations into a $10 million payment to indicted former Fifa vice-president Jack Warner.

“I have thoroughly thought about my presidency and the 40 years Fifa has played in my life. I love Fifa more than anything else and I only want to do the best. I decided to stand again for election for the good of football,” he told the gathered media.

“My mandate does not appear to be supported by everybody. This is why I will call an extraordinary meeting.

“I will organise an extraordinary congress for a replacement for me as president. I will not stand. I am now free from the constraints of an election. I will be in a position to focus on profound reforms. For many years we have called for reforms. But these are not sufficient.

“We need a limitation on mandates and terms of office. I have fought for these changes but my efforts have been counteracted.”

Blatter has been president since 1998 and was re-elected for a fifth term only four days before his resignation.

Elections to replace Blatter are set to be held between December and March.

Comments

Popular Posts

OMG! Small Children Rocking Themselves In Intimate Dance At A Party

Underage kids were video here dancing erotically to an equally indecent music at a children's party. After watching this video, I was was more than convinced that we are the last generation of homo sapiens (wise man/woman), the next generation are just evolving into some species that will shake everything we call values.

Egypt pull out of 2015 All African Games football event

The north African country have withdrawn from the football events of Brazzaville 2015 according to the Confederation of African Football Egypt have withdrawn from participating in the men and women’s football events of the 2015 All African Games billed for Brazzaville in September.

-1/10: Mourinho slams Chelsea stars

Jose Mourinho has slammed his Chelsea players for their first-half display against Newcastle United by rating their performance as ‘minus one out of 10’.