Monday, 16 November 2015

Troops move to clear Boko Haram camps in Sambisa, Gujba, Sasawa forests

The Nigerian Army may have begun its “final push to root out” the Boko Haram insurgents as troops of Operation Lafiya Dole in the North East are now heading towards the feared strongholds of the sect in Sambisa, Gujba and Sasawa forests.

The military, which has frequently promised to meet the December deadline to wipe out Boko Haram insurgents in the Northeast, on Saturday said the troops were moving for the last known dens of the insurgents.
Speaking at a news conference on the successes recorded recently by the military in the insurgency-torn North East, the Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, Maj-Gen. Yusha’u Abubakar said: “As I am addressing you right now gentlemen of the press, almost the entire troops in the theater are moving towards the Boko Haram dens in Sambisa, Sasawa and Gujba forests of Borno and Yobe states.” He further disclosed that another kingpin of the terrorist sect had been arrested.
Abubakar said the terrorist, Danladi Abubakar, who is number 26 on the wanted list of the 100 members of Boko Haram released by the Nigerian Army to the public two weeks ago was caught in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital.
His words: “Danladi Abdullahi was arrested on November 13, 2015 with the assistance of men of the Department of State Security Services (DSSS) in Moduganari ward of Maiduguri metropolis.”
On the successes already recorded in recent time by troops fighting the terrorists, the commander said: “Troops in harbour at Kardewa village were attacked by Boko Haram terrorists. The attack was successfully repelled instantly. The arms and other items recovered from them include 25 motorcycles, 40 Boko Haram terrorists’ flags, 10 grinding machines and an Impoverished Explosive Devices (IEDs)-making factory.”
He told newsmen at the Operation Lafiya Dole Media Centre, Maiduguri that more terrorists’ enclaves at Angwan Fulani Rugo, Angwan Fulani Kardewa, Dure Fadagwe, Christian, Fadagwe Muni and Balazalas were destroyed.
He said on November 10, at Bulabulin Balgawe Ajiri at about 9.51pm, the Boko Haram terrorists launched several rockets in an attempt to break into Maiduguri but the troops successfully repelled them.
He also said on November 11, at Ngumnari near Monguno at about 3:30pm, troops encountered Boko Haram terrorists and engaged them in fire where two insurgents were killed.
Abubakar said during the attack, an AK 47 rifle was captured from the insurgents with a Dane gun and several motorcycles which have been destroyed.
The commander also said the troops recorded victory at Gudumbali on November 12 as they engaged the insurgents in crossfire and successfully liberated the town after 10 terrorists were killed. He said during the military operation, large quantum of weapons and ammunition were recovered.
“On November 12, 2015, our troops successfully conducted fighting patrol to Boboshe village near Dikwa town and dislodged Boko Haram terrorists in the area where arms and vehicles were recovered.”

No comments: