Thursday, 8 October 2015

Prisons deny Okah’s death


The Nigeria Prison Services (NPS) has dismissed the rumour that one of the prime suspects in the October 1, 2010 bomb blast, Charles Okah, was found dead in his prison cell yesterday morning, by prison warders after committing suicide.

The NPS stressed that the senior Okah was hale and hearty.
There was rife rumour early yesterday that Charles Okah was found dead in prison cell by prison warders at 7am and that his suicide note blamed the nation’s criminal justice system and former president, Goodluck Jonathan.
Okar was also alleged to have appealed to his children to forgive him and that a Prisons doctor was informed some weeks ago, about Okah’s de­pression and suicidal intention.
But reacting to the rumour, the NPS spokesman, Mr. Frank Enobore, in a chat with Daily Sun, de­scribed the rumour as a figment of source’s imagi­nation, insisting that Okah was rather, in a physical fitness training exercise session, when the rumour millers went to town.
“There is no iota of truth in the rumour that Okah committed suicide. Such rumour must be a figment of those persons’ imagination. In fact, as I speak with you, Okah is undergoing his routine morning jogging and other physical fitness exercises behind the prison walls. So, I can authoritatively tell you that there was no such incident in Kuje prison”, Enobore stated.
Turning down our correspondent’s request to visit the Kuje Medium Prison to confirm the au­thenticity of the statement by the prisons authori­ties, Enobore said it would not be possible due to the tension at Kuje due to the recent bomb blast.
“Visiting the prison to confirm our claims would have been the best, but I can tell you that it will not be possible for now. You know that the situation is still very tensed because of the bomb blast that took place in Kuje last week. I want to assure you that once the situation calms down, we will invite you to talk with him”, he said.
Post a Comment