Tuesday, 25 August 2015

Nigeria ex-National Security Chief charged with illegally possessing weapons



The Department of State Services, DSS, yesterday arraigned the former National Security Adviser, Col Sambo Dasuki (rtd), for illegal possession of firearms.

Lawyers told Vanguard last night that Dasuki risks spending not less than 14 years in jail, if convicted by the court over the alleged offence.
DSS, in a statement, released by Tony Opuiyo, said that the arraignment of Dasuki followed the search operation it carried out in his residences in Abuja and Sokoto last month.
The DSS statement said Dasuki was charged to court based on credible evidence that he was in possession of weapons without licence, an offence punishable under Section 27 (1) (a) (1) of the Firearms Act Cap F28 LFN, 2004.
Although DSS was silent on which court Dasuki was arraigned, it made it clear that the action was necessitated by credible intelligence which linked him to acts capable of undermining national security.
The service said that the arraignment was to demonstrate the fact that nobody was above the law and that the service was committed to democratic practices.
The statement read in part: “You may recall that on July 16, the Department of State Services, DSS, carried out a search operation on property belonging to the immediate past National Security Adviser, Mohammed Sambo Dasuki, in Abuja and Sokoto.
“The search operation led to the recovery of a large cache of arms and ammunition among other things and for which further investigation was conducted.
“Consequently, on Monday, August 24, he was charged to court based on evidence so far obtained, but which relates to possession of fire arms without license punishable under Section 27(i)(a)(i) of the Firearms Act Cap F28 LFN, 2004.
Source: Vanguardngr.com

No comments: